Viking Knit is one of the oldest forms of knitting, and is a looping technique that preceded traditional knitting by centuries. I find it to be most relaxing in its repetitiveness. In this class you will try your hand at this ancient art form by designing a chosen length of Viking Knit chain to be used as the base for a modern day charm bracelet.
Once your chain is complete, you’ll be able to add bits & pieces of rhinestone this & that. What is this & that, you might ask? Rhinestone dangles taken from vintage earrings, bits from a vintage bracelet, various rhinestone charms, tiny keys, monopoly pieces, religious medals, watch faces, rhinestone connectors…or how about once removed necklace clasps, long ago put away in a safe place for use at another time? I will also share how to design some fun “stixs” to add to your bracelet, using 2 gauges of wire, along with a simple, yet elegant, s-clasp. Won’t you join me? If you’re like me, you’ll wear this bracelet every time you get the chance.
Kit fee of $22 payable to the instructor at class time includes the following supplies and use of tools:
Viking Knit Kit (Draw Plate/Dowels/Template/)
Brass Wire, 24 gauge, 4’
End Caps, Antiqued Bronze, Copper or Silver Plate
Sanding Pad, 320 grit
Masking Tape & Card
Power Max Flush Cutters or Fat Daddy Cutters
Texture Hammers, Brass Mallet, Metal Stamps
Metal Chisels & Punches
Torch, Fire Brick & Additional Supplies
Safety Glasses or Eye Protection
Face Masks & Gloves
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Diane who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like Chapter One, The Gypsy Den, or C4 Deli.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Diane who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Closing & Depart: 4:00-4:30 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING
- Brass or Copper Wire, 24 gauge (20’ will make a chain approx. 7” long)
- Brass, Copper OR Sterling Silver Wire, 20-22 gauge, approx. 6-8’
- Brass or Copper Wire, 12 gauge, approx. 2’
- Oval Jump Rings, Open (to attach charms, or use wire to wire wrap)
- Flat Jewelry File, #2 Cut
- Metal Hole Punch Pliers, 1.8mm (http://www.beaducation.com/shop/metal-hole-punch-pliers-18mm-hole-p-418.html)
- Pliers, Chain-Nose, Flat-Nose, Round-Nose, Flat-Nose & Nylon Jaw
- Bailing Pliers (8/6mm) ((http://www.beaducation.com/shop/wubbers-large-bail-making-pliers-p-3353.html)
- Ball Pean Hammer
- Steel Bench Block
- Bench Pad or Rubber Bench Block
- Flush Cutters
- Permanent Marker, Black Ultra-Fine
- Ruler or Tape Measure
- Pencil (with an eraser)
- Various charms, rhinestone pieces, earring dangles, monopoly pieces, tiny keys, rhinestone connectors, bracelet parts, religious medals, gemstones, pearls, or other types of beads
(I will also have some goodies for sale, which will include some of the above, as well as book chain, pearls, gemstones, vintage dangles, charms, rhinestone connectors and more).
OPTIONAL (but suggested):
- Power Max Flush Cutters or Fat Daddy Cutters
- Personal Eye Protection
- Needle Files ((http://www.beaducation.com/shop/small-files-set-of-6-p-129.html))
- Center Punch (local hardware store)
- Beading Mat
- Work Light, (Battery Operated suggested or bring an extension cord)
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Diane is an artist and instructor. Learn more about her here.