Join StencilGirl, Mary Beth Shaw to explore some of the numerous innovative ways that stencils may be used. Over the course of the day, we will:
- Paint beautiful papers for Collage
- Make 3D component parts
- Use stencils to create texture
- Integrate foreground and background with stencils
- Learn to think outside the stencil
- Use stencils as a composition guide
- Play with layering pattern on pattern
Mary Beth will bring tons of stencils to share along with most of the materials you need. There will be an additional $10 kit fee that Mary Beth collects from each student during class.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:30 :: Class time with Mary Beth who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:30 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 2:00-5:00 PM :: Class time with Mary Beth who will guide the 2nd part of class.
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- Brushes for painting, glue brush, a few foam brushes
- Spray bottle
- Baby wipes
- Rigid substrates (like canvas panels): bring a couple in the 8 x 8 inch size range. Please don't bring raw wood. Make sure your substrate is pre-gessoed. It should be white.
- Scissors, cutting mat, xacto knife
- Optional: gloves and apron
- Mary Beth will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Mary Beth Shaw works in Mixed Media because she loves to play with art supplies. She contends that mixed media is for artists who can't make up their minds. The owner of StencilGirl Products, she uses stencils on anything and everything. Her spontaneous process utilizes pastel, ink, marker and acrylics layered with various collage, texture and three dimensional materials. She welcomes so-called “mistakes” because they lead to wonderful opportunities and discoveries.
Originally from Cincinnati, OH, Mary Beth started exploring her artistic voice in early 2000 when she quit her corporate insurance job to pursue art full time. She eventually found her passion in collage and mixed media painting. She has shown her work in numerous juried competitions, outdoor art fairs, group and solo shows. She teachers workshops around the country and internationally.
She is author of Flavor for Mixed Media and Stencil Girl, both published by North Light and is a Columnist for Somerset Studios. She recently became certified as a Golden Artist Educator. Living in Wildwood, MO with her husband and three cats, Mary Beth is passionate about every moment of life.