Grab your hammer and your HEART ... and let's play with solder and metal! This is a special 1-Day workshop filled with lots of fun techniques that you will learn. Whether you come on Saturday the 10th or Sunday the 11th, all students will be taught how to make a fabulous necklace with a soldered heart shadow box that is attached to copper, brass, and nickel silver (as shown in the first photo). Etching techniques, and methods of attaching rivets, screws, nuts, bolts, and wire-wrapping will also be taught.
The soldered heart pendant will be taught both days. However, if there are any students who decide to sign up for both days, you will learn how to make the crescent-shaped necklace with vintage glass encased and soldered rhinestones. Additional methods taught will include beading and pearl stringing.
If time allows on either day, students will be able to make additional soldered charms so come ready to work all day, to make as many as time allows!
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Terri who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Terri who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
WHAT TO BRING: If you have a soldering iron, and flux, you are encouraged to bring them to class. If you don't have these basic items, no worries, Terri will bring all of the basic tools and materials including soldering irons and flux for you to use during class. In addition to this, you are encouraged to bring along these basic items:
- 1 spool of lead-free solder (you can get from Hobby Lobby or here on etsy)
- Bits and bobs of paper, embellishments, tiny photos, crystals, gems, and anything else cute and fun that you think would look terrific sandwiched in between two pieces of glass.
- Needle-nose pliers
- Round-nose pliers
- Second set of needle-nose or bent-nose pliers
- Several rags or small towels
- Sharp craft knife or exacto
- Apron or smock
Please bring these OPTIONAL items if you have them:
- Bead crimper
- Vintage buttons
- Letter metal stamps
- Euro hole punch pliers, 1.5mm
If you are looking for a comprehensive soldering kit to invest in, Terri recommends this Terri Brush Workshop kit that etsy shop owner Robin Ann Ramsden has put together.
- For those who would like to add crocheted flower elements into the charms, Jenny will be on hand to provide an easy crochet tutorial with all tools and materials provided.
- Terri will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Aside from the materials made available to use during class, Terri will also have a limited supply of additional cut glass and components for sale.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
- The class content is the same for both days. However, for any person who would like to enroll for both days, Terri will teach you how to complete the second design, which builds upon the skills learned in the first design.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Terri Brush is a jewelry and mixed-media artist and founder of Art Camp, held semi-annually on the Oregon coast. To learn more about her art, visit www.terribrushdesigns.com and www.terribrushdesigns.blogspot.com.