In this one-day class, students will learn the fundamentals of beginning silversmithing. The first project students will complete will be a stamped and soldered sterling silver band ring. Each student will learn to size their ring, stamp with steel stamps, solder and shape the band. They will also learn several finishing techniques.
After the lunch break, we will begin work on stamped leather cuffs. Students will use the metal stamping they learned earlier in the day to create a silver plaque that will be attached to the leather band using a cold connection technique. They will also learn the fundamentals of stamping on leather.
Both projects will be totally customizable and each student will leave with several pieces of jewelry.
207 N. Broadway Street, Studio L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with April who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with April who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
ASIDE FROM THE CLASS ENROLLMENT FEE, April will provide a class kit that contains the following items for an additional $25, which she will collect from each student during class. Because sterling silver is expensive, the kit fee is higher than kits for some other types of classes that don't involve sterling silver. The kits will contain the highest quality items.
- silver striping
- brass nuts and screws
- leather bands
TEACHER AND STUDIO WILL HAVE THESE ITEMS TO SHARE WITH STUDENTS DURING CLASS. IF YOU HAVE YOUR OWN ITEMS FROM THIS LIST, PLEASE FEEL FREE TO BRING THEM TO USE DURING CLASS:
- metal stamps
- leather stamps
- silversmithing tools (torches, files, shears, hammers, blocks)
- April will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
April Meeker is is an artist, and instructor. Learn more about her work at www.suaviloquy.blogspot.com.