"Over the years, I have learned that my art journal is a great place for artistic experiments. It's all about ruin and rescue. By discovering that virtually all "mistakes" can be "fixed," I gained confidence and lost the fear of ruining my artwork. Come and spend the day learning a panoply of techniques for layering, collaging, doodling, and creating wonderful new things from the ashes of old projects." — Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
Studio CRESCENDOh in the Artist Village of
Santa Ana, California
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Julie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Julie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- Journal (old or new)
- 6–10 colors of acrylic paint (including black), any brand
- Collage Materials (e.g., book pages, scrapbook paper, telephone book pages, newspaper, security envelopes, photos, photocopies)
- 6–10 sheets of plain white cardstock
- Wide masking tape
- White gesso
- Permanent black pen
- Pencil and white eraser
- Black China Marker
- Bristle Paintbrushes: Small round, Medium Round, Large Flat
- Container for Water
- Matte Medium
OPTIONAL FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
- Discarded art projects: small projects on paper or fabric that didn't work out or you no longer wish to finish
- Anything that's on your "must-have" art journaling list (favorite pens, spray inks, stamps, craft knife, washi tape, etc.)
- Heat gun, extention cord, power strip
- Baby wipes, paper towels, rags
TEACHER WILL PROVIDE:
- Stencils (to share)
- Cosmetic Sponges
- Paint Palettes
- Watercolor paints (to share)
- Shipping tags
- Deli paper
- Julie will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is an artist, and teacher. Her work is featured in the upcoming book titled Journal It, to be released in 2012. Learn more about her work at balzerdesigns.typepad.com.