Passion for Free Motion
Free Motion Stitched & Watercolored Art Dolls +
Other Beloved Shapes and Creatures
with Jenny Doh
1-Day Workshop, offered on two different dates:
Saturday, July 11, 2015
Monday, July 13, 2015
(Please note at time of purchase which date you'd like to enroll in. If you want to come both dates, please purchase this class two times.)
Location: Studio CRESCENDOh
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L, Santa Ana, CA 92701
motion stitching is all about lowering the machine's feed dogs, attaching a darning foot, and
controlling the movement of the fabric in a way that allows you to draw
shapes including faces, boats, flowers, writing, and really anything
else you can imagine. If you can draw it, you can free motion stitch it.
FIRST PART (before lunch)
the first part of class, I will demonstrate the basics on how to
control the fabric with the machine's feed dogs lowered, and together,
we will do some warm-up exercises that get us understanding how to free
After we get the basics down, I will
demonstrate the steps that I take in free motion stitching a face. I
will also demonstrate how to free motion stitch other shapes and cursive
SECOND PART (after lunch)
In the second part of
class, I will demonstrate how I apply watercolor paints to color the
stitched works. I will also demonstrate how I apply fabric paints (that I will bring and you can use if you want to try out) in
In the third
part of class, each participant will make a choice to either finish a
stitched and watercolored work into an actual doll by sewing and
stuffing it co completion, or decide to continue practicing the
stitching and coloring without making it into a doll option. We will
also discuss other options that the works could take, like art quilts,
and other works of art.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jenny who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One, Paninoteca, Boldo, 4th Street Market, Cafe Calacas, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jenny who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
machine (that has a button or lever that can lower its feed dogs). This
is a must. If you come to class with a machine that cannot lower its
feed dogs, you'll be unable to free motion stitch.
foot. This is also a must. This is an attachment that goes on the machine. If you come without a darning foot that can attach to your sewing machine, you will be unable to free
- Threads (I like black, read, and white
but you can bring other colors as well) and other notions for the
machine (like bobbins, machine needles, owner's manual, and other parts
and pieces that help you operate and troubleshoot your machine.)
cotton fabric like drill or canvas. I like to use this type of fabric
because I don't need to use a stabilizer. If you bring fabric that is
less sturdy than drill cotton, please also bring stabilizer.
- Optional: Stabilizer. I like the tear-away kind. This is something you need if you are using fabric that is less sturdy than drill cotton.
- Watercolor set (like this one or really any other set you may already have)
- Watercolor brush (nothing fancy)
- Stuffing (a 12-ounce bag will be enough for you to make 2 small to medium doll. it's called fiberfill, or polyfill ... like this one.)
- Optional: Water-soluble marker (I really do not like to use these markers when making free motion stitched art becuase I feel it sucks the energy right out of the project. Having said that, if you want to have one on hand, you can and I'll teach you how to use it with extreme caution.)
VERY IMPORTANT NOTE: This class is for those who have experience with a sewing
machine and feel comfortable troubleshooting assorted issues related to a
sewing machine (e.g., adjusting tension, threading the needle,
loading the bobbin thread, lowering the feed dogs, etc.) The reason
is because if your machine has issues that require trouble shooting, I
will need each sewer to take leadership and responsibility in troubleshooting her/his
machine. If you feel you don't have this experience/confidence to be in a class setting, feel free to email me at email@example.com to schedule private sewing lesson(s) prior to class if you want to. Private lesson rates are as same as rates for private painting lessons listed here.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Jenny Doh is an artist, author, and teacher.