Come along with Jennifer Mercede and learn the art of scribbling, how to create from the "on the phone zone" and experience stream-of-conscious doodling, including free-flow text. In this, her debut workshop, Jennifer will teach us how to let go of the outcome, and provide insight into her incredible color methods. We will delve into artistically courageous and enriching experiences including blind contour work, experimenting with the non-dominent hand, collaboration, and more. Jennifer will get us to loosen up, paint fast, and have a whole lot of fun.
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Jennifer who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Jennifer who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST: The class will provide you with several canvas, wood, and paper substrates that Jennifer will use to teach her methods. Listed below are the paints and materials that you should bring to class:
- At least 6–8 colors of acrylic paint (any brand). Make sure you bring your favorite variation of yellow, blue, red, and white. (Try to include a neon color as well.)
- Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes
- Colored pencils
- Black ball point pen
- A photo or two of an animal and/or plant
- Scraping tool (like a palette knife or old credit card)
- Painting clothes/smock
OPTIONAL LIST: The following items are optional. Please do not buy these items if you don't have them. We will have extras of these that we can share.
- Stick/toothpicks/kabab stick
- Painters tape
- Watercolor crayons
- Spray paint (We will have several cans for you to experiment with. If you'd like to bring a can or two of your favorite colors, please bring them.)
- Leftover house paint (If you have any laying around. No need to buy if you don't.)
- Drop cloth (The studio will have drop cloths near your work area but if you bring your own, it might be cool to take back with you, with evidence of the drips and smudges on your drop cloth ... evidence of your process.)
- Cheap sketchbook (we will be making many quick drawings throughout the day. If you have an old and cheap sketchbook, that would be best. If not, the studio will have loose papers that you can use and put in a binder after class.)
- Any other things you like to create with that you'd like to use ... and even share with the class.
- Jennifer will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Jennifer Mercede is an artist, and teacher.
To learn more about her art, visit www.jennifermercede.com and her etsy shop here.