Storytelling Through Papers and Portraits
with Jeanne Oliver
2-Day Workshop, August 9-10, 2014
in Studio CRESCENDOh
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
There are times when your creativity begs to be a scavenger, collector and a storyteller. The scavenger in you finds beauty in strips of old wallpaper, the smell of vintage books and the patina in a collection of lost love letters. You take your findings and bind them with string waiting for the moment to bring them out again. The collector in you finds inspiration from music, poetry, paintings, conversations and the tiny beautiful moments of the day-to-day. You take your collection of beauty and tuck it away ... but not forever. The storyteller in you takes your treasures and your collections, rearranges them, sorts them and creates them into something new and all your own.
Join me for two days of bringing your stories to life through vintage papers, sketching, charcoal, ink, acrylic paints and words. Day one we will create multiple pieces of art through creative exercises using ink, watercolors, charcoal, mark making and paint. Day two will be about bringing your treasures, collections and words together to create a completed painting. Bring your favorite items from your own scavenger hunts, words from your collections and we will start a story together.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jeanne who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jeanne who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- 2 wood artist panels (choose your size: at least 6 x 12 inches but no larger than 12 x 16 inches)
- Set of your favorite brushes (I like #4 flat, #2 round, #0 round and a large brush for applying gesso, matte medium, backgrounds, etc.)
- Small set of acrylics (include your favorite colors as well as black, white, a deep red, yellow ochre, raw umber fluid)
- One waterproof black pen of your choice
- Portable pan watercolor set (if you do not already have this please only buy an inexpensive set)
- Liquitex matte medium
- Clear gesso
- Bring some of your favorite poetry, lyrics, etc. (I will also provide these for you)
- Bring some of your favorite vintage papers (I will also provide these for you)
- Bring an image that connects with you (I will also provide these for you)
SUPPLY FEE: An additional $15 supply fee for supplies that Jeanne brings for each student will be collected by Jeanne during the class.
- Jeanne will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Jeanne Oliver is an artist, and teacher. Learn more about her work at www.jeanneoliverdesigns.com.