This workshop is a continuation of Jennifer's debut workshop—Doodle School—that she offered last year in Studio CRESCENDOh. She will teach students to doodle, scribble, and paint ... as everyone is encouraged to let go, take risks, and allow one's energy to guide the art.
The new component to this workshop is the figure-doodling element where students will spend 3 hours working with a nude model... including an exploration of blind contour model doodling, and then coloring in that doodle in Jennifer's signature methods with lots of color and free-flow text.
The class will be one where we focus on breaking inner critic rules as well as viewing art as metaphors for life. It'll be loose, fast, and a whole lot of fun. NOTE: Also ... as an added bonus for students who are enrolled in this 2-day class, you have the option to stay for an additional third day of painting and musical fun! It's an add-on option that you can learn about here and enroll.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jennifer who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jennifer who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDIO WILL PROVIDE: The Studio will provide each student with:
- One small cut piece of wood
- One larger wood studio panel board
- Newsprint paper
- Strathmore Sketch Pad
(The cost for these items are included in the price of the class.)
SUPPLY LIST: Listed below are the additional paints and materials that each student should bring to class:
- At least 6–8 colors of acrylic paint (any brand). Make sure you bring your favorite variation of yellow, blue, red, and white. (Try to include a neon color as well.)
- Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes
- Colored pencils
- Black ball point pen
- A photo or two of an animal and/or plant
- Scraping tool (like a palette knife or old credit card)
- Painting clothes/smock
OPTIONAL LIST: The following items are optional. Please do not buy these items if you don't have them. We will have extras of these that we can share.
- Stick/toothpicks/kabab stick
- Painters tape
- Watercolor crayons
- Spray paint (We will have several cans for you to experiment with. If you'd like to bring a can or two of your favorite colors, please bring them.)
- Leftover house paint (If you have any laying around. No need to buy if you don't.)
- Drop cloth (The studio will have drop cloths near your work area but if you bring your own, it might be cool to take back with you, with evidence of the drips and smudges on your drop cloth ... evidence of your process.)
- Any other things you like to create with that you'd like to use ... and even share with the class.
- Jennifer will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Jennifer Mercede is an artist, and teacher.
To learn more about her art, visit www.jennifermercede.com and her etsy shop here.