Navigating the Art Journal
with Jill K. Berry
2-Day Workshop, September 13-14, 2014
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Navigation: The process or activity of accurately ascertaining one's position and planning and following a route.
Part of what the journal and its practice offers us is a way to navigate our lives in a visual and expressive manner. We wander, discover, identify, and acknowledge our loves, obstacles, longings, experiences, and dreams. Follow the thread of the source of your creativity symbolized by the hand, meander around the trails and paths of your thoughts. These wanderings become layered maps of a sort, a visual record of our internal and external travels.
SCHEDULE for BOTH DAYS
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Jill who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deii, Chapter One, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Jill who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING
- A large blank art journal
- Papers and photos such as handwritten papers, maps, photocopied photographs, scraps of paste papers, etc.
- Acrylic paints in assorted colors including Titanium White
- Plastic palette
- Paper towels
- Tsukineko Jumbo Daubers and/or cosmetic sponges
- Wax paper
- Paintbrushes: 1/4-inch to 1-inch
- Gel matte medium (adhesive) by Liquitex or Golden
- Fine-point permanent black pens such as Sharpies, Microns, Pitt artist pens
- White pens (I use Uni-ball Signo and white fine point Sharpie Poster paint, water-based.)
OPTIONAL ITEMS THAT STUDENTS COULD BRING
- Baby wipes
- Dye ink pads
- Heat gun
- Watercolor crayons
PROVIDED BY THE TEACHER ($5 KIT FEE)
- Art tissue
- Blue tape on strips
- Compass roses
- Freezer paper
- Gelli plate
- Masking tape
- Tracing paper, Tyvek
- Jill will have signed copies of her books: Personal Geographiesand Map Art Lab, plus her line of stencils available for purchase.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Jill K. Berry is an artist, author, and instructor. Learn more about her work at www.jillberrydesign.com.