Magazine Magic: A two-day Art Adventure
with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
2-Day Workshop on Saturda and Sunday
January 17th and 18th, 2015
Location: Studio CRESCENDOh
207 N. Broadway St., Suite L, Santa Ana, CA 92701
One of the supplies I must always have on hand in my art studio is magazines. Believe it or not, magazines are an incredibly versatile and helpful tool for any artist. In this class we’ll be exploring some of the myriad ways in which you can use magazines to create art, including: as reference images, as collage fodder, as the basis for image transfers, as underpaintings, as canvases, as stencils, and so much more!
This class is packed with techniques for you try out! You will go home with an arsenal of new ideas and lots of finished samples!
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Julie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip
and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Julie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- Any of the following types of magazines: fashion magazines, catalogs with great photos, art and craft magazines, National Geographic, etc. Be prepared to share your magazines with the class.
- Pens & Paint Markers: You will need a variety of pens and paint markers. Definitely bring black (in several tip sizes), white (in several tip sizes) and then any additional colors you want.
- Liquitex Matte Medium
- White Gesso
- Masking tape
- Paintbrushes: Bristle brushes: at minimum one large flat, one medium round, one small round
- Packing Tape or clear contact paper
- 2 Containers for Water – one for brushes and a larger one for washing transfers
- Wax paper
- Acrylic paint – black, red, blue, yellow, and any other colors you’d like to use
- Art Journal and/or loose paper for working on
- Credit card or hotel room key
- Paint palette (palette paper or paper plate)
- Optional: bone folder, heat gun & extension cord, spray ink, craft knife & cutting mat, apron
TEACHER WILL PROVIDE:
- Deli paper
- Collage starting images
- Julie will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
IMPORTANT STUDIO POLICIES:
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is an artist, author, and teacher.
Learn more about her work at balzerdesigns.typepad.com.