Come and celebrate the love of letters and lettering! Pam is well known
for her hand lettering and dip pen writing in her journals,
illustrations, script paintings, and even embroidery sampler designs.
Her love of lettering started at an early age when she received a
calligraphy kit as a child, and she's been lettering ever since, in all
different mediums and styles. In this class, she'll guide you as you
create a lettering primer that you'll be able to keep adding to long
after you've left the class. We'll quickly hand stitch a sample book
from heavy watercolor paper and then practice and play in our lettering
books. Pam will bring all her favorite tools for lettering and show you
how she uses them. You'll be able to experiment with them and find some
new tools and techniques for your own lettering fun. You'll even go home
with a few yourself!
Class content will include: simple long stitch, no
binding journal making, lettering with different markers, dip pens
(with different nibs and why),different inks, mixing your own ink from
gouache, calligraphy, watercolor brushes, sumi brushes and script
writing with them, specialty pens, ink pens, the list goes on and on.
After spending time trying out all the different writing techniques and
tools, we'll then discuss the development of letters and fonts and cover
tricks for altering your own natural writing style. Using Pam's
favorite resource books on lettering and fonts, (Including Jenny's
"Creative Lettering"), we'll develop some hand drawn fonts of our own to
include in our primers. Pam will have her extensive collection of art
journals on hand for you to peruse and use as lettering resources as
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Pam who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or C4 Deli or Chapter One.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Pam who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- A journal of some sort for taking notes and practicing lettering in
- If you were in the Art of the Page class on Saturday before this class, please bring your art journal to add to the pages!
- A few of your own favorite writing instruments.
- Pam will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Pam Garrison is an artist and teacher. Learn more about her work at pamgarrison.typepad.com.