"Courage is to tell the story of who you are with your whole heart." —Brene Brown
The Alchemy of Spontaneous Expression
When I paint, I can think of nothing more thrilling than abiding in the spacious state of spontaneous expression, myriad choices bubbling to the surface, making marks in my distinctive and original voice, moment to moment, creating a painting that resonates with my human experience, and then there is the satisfaction and completeness that comes at the end. A soulful painting is a map, a series of creative thoughts and gestures layered across a substrate, the mysterious visual language of authentic creative expression that speaks from our heart to our soul.
For two luxurious days we'll have the opportunity to explore that rich and mysterious landscape, roaming the outside edges of our comfort zone in loving support of our curious and expanding soul.
Together we'll playfully experiment with techniques and exercises that engage our senses and I'll share some visualization and awareness practices that shapren our intuition and deepen the communication between our heart and the canvas.
"In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities,
but in the expert's there are few."
Whether we are new to painting or come as experienced painters, this weekend we'll all gather together with "beginners mind" as we explore:
- Trusting our intuition, learning to feel more comfortable metaphorically "walking in the darkness" as we paint, gently supporting and following the flow of the sacred mystery in our work until it reveals itself
- Observing how movement (creative energy) looks and feels in our body and in our paintings, tuning in to the conversation between you and your creation
- Discussion and practices to examine freshness or lack of it in our work and ways to create movemetn when paintings feel stale
- Using the practice of inquiry to gain momentum when energy bogs down
- Exploring our interior world through abstract and/or expressionist painting
- Having a boat-load of fun together!!
SCHEDULE (for both days):
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Katie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One, The Gypsy Den, 4th Street Market, Cafe Calacas, Paninoteca, and Boldo.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Katie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- White gesso (16 ounce jar)
- Black gesso
- Clear gesso
- 3 or more pieces of medium vine charcoal (different thicknesses are fun)
- 2 large substrates 24 x 24 inches or larger (if you are planning on using an easel you'll want firm surfaces like wood, stretched canvas, etc.)
- 2 large sheets of #80 Bristol paper (or other painting paper)
- Heavy body acrylic paints, 4 ounces each (2) red, (2) yellow, (2) blue, titanium white, and any other colors you like in heavy or fluid acrylics
- Paint brushes - large ones- 2 of each, 1", 1.5", 2" (chip brushes or foam brushes from the hardware store work great) AND some smaller brushes from your stash at home
- Mark making tools - sticks, bubble wrap, string, etc., things around the house
- Mini foam paint roller or soft brayer
- Collage paper scraps
- Gel medium or PVA glue
- Painting apron
- Painting rags and/or roll of paper towels
- Palette (I use freezer paper taped to cardboard)
OPTIONAL Extras FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
Please feel free to email me with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Katie will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Katie Kendrick lives along the banks of the Tahuya River in western Washington. Surrounded by the Tahuya State Forest, the peaceful beauty of nature that surrounds her is a constant source of inspiration and nourishment for her creative spirit. She finds art making to be one of the most powerful ways to connect with her innermost essence, while at the same time discovering her authentic voice. She enjoys the experimental and intuitive layers of creating, where she can explore inner and outer worlds simultaneously. She has a passion for sharing her love of creating with others and teaches her mixed media workshops across the US and internationally. Her firsb book, Layered Impressions: A Mixed-Media Approach to Painting and Poetry was released in 2012.