Form, Fold, Layer & Lace
with Diane Cook
1-Day Workshop, June 13, 2015
in Studio CRESCENDOh
207 North Broadway, Suite L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
There is nothing quite so satisfying as to take a small piece of sheet metal or two, transforming them by layering and stitching, into a beautiful set of ear adornments. The simple beauty of using etched and hand textured base metal, along with the option of fold forming and lacing, will be covered in this class. I will supply some favorite earring patterns, but really the class will be one where you might dare to design your very own, using lacing as a form of attaching the metal in layers of two or three, or more! I can’t begin to tell you how this seemingly simple challenge will start your creative juices flowing, as you dive into ways to create movement, as well as stability, in your tiny pieces of art. The best part of all, the techniques you use in this class, can easily transfer over into pendants, bracelets, and much more!
As instructor, I will supply the following items for each student:
- Class Handout & Patterns
- 3-3”x6” pieces of sheet metal, copper, brass & nickel silver (I will have etched metal for sale in class, or bring your own!)
- Brass & Copper Wire, 26, 24 & 22 gauge (if you’d like to use sterling silver wire, please bring your own)
- Sterling Silver Wire, 20 gauge (for ear wires)
- Sanding Pads/Synthetic Steel Wool
- Torches/Fire Bricks/Heat Resistant Surfaces
- Quenching Bowls/Pliers
- Dremel Tool/Safety Glasses
- Face Masks/Disposable Gloves
- Metal Design/Letter Stamps/Chisels
- Texture Hammers/Brass Mallets
- Patina Solutions/Finishing Wax
- Disc Cutter/Dapping & Swag Blocks
- Drill Bits/Form Folding Tools
- Ring Clamps
- Beading Mats
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Diane who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like Chapter One, The Gypsy Den, or C4 Deli.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Diane who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Closing & Depart: 4:00-4:30 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Diane is an artist and instructor. Learn more about her here.