"The world needs dreamers and the world needs doers. But above all, the world needs dreamers who do."
—Sarah Ban Breathnach
"I believe that within each of us there is a dreamer, filled with dreams of all the possibilities waiting to be unveiled, and a gatherer, constantly on the search for the next find, be it a treasure or an idea. Dreamers and gatherers know what feeds the soul, seeing and feeling beauty comes naturally, as does a yearning to express these things for others to connect deeply with. Is it not the purpose of the artists to bring to life visions others only feel, but can't express? The artist has the ability to make dreams come to fruition, at least on paper, using different medias, all the while gathering pieces of inspiration from nature, imagination, other artists, and anywhere it can be felt. Come, bring your dreams and we will paint them.
In this two-day workshop I will help you combine your dreams and gathered inspirations into works of art, using layers of mixed media. This workshop is for all skill levels."
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Misty who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like C4 Deli, Chapter One, and The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Misty who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Closing & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
Students should bring:
- Heavy body acrylic paints. My favorites are listed below, but all you really need are the 3 primary colors (red, blue, yellow) and white.
- Titanium white
- Quinacridone Nickel Azo Gold
- Raw Umber
- Paynes Grey
- Pyyrole Red OR Primary Red
- Naples Yellow
- Light Magenta
- Titan Buff
- Regular or soft Gel Matte Medium (to use as a glue)
- Palette paper
- A few brushes (small to medium). like to have a few flat brushes and a few round brushes.
- Surface to paint on. I prefer Cotton Hot press Watercolor paper, but canvas and wood are just as wonderful if that is what you prefer. 11 x 14 inches or larger is recommended. Bring 2 or more pieces, depending on how many paintings you wish to work on.
- A few images you've gathered for reference that you'd like to turn into a painting
- Optional: artist water-soluble crayons
SUPPLY KIT FEE: An additional $15 kit fee for supplies that Misty brings for each student to use will be collected by Misty during the class.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE INSTRUCTOR
Misty Mawn is an artist, author, and teacher. Discover her here.