Come join Pam as she embarks on a weekend of art journaling fun. Whether you currently make art journals, or have just begun to think about doing so, this class is appropriate, and no previous journaling, bookmaking, painting, or art skills are required. All you need is a desire to create and play and you'll leave with a beautiful new watercolor journal handmade by you, and many pages of play and exploration begun in it. Additionally, students will get to see Pam's extensive personal art journals, as she'll be bringing them all for you to look through, throughout the weekend, and ask any questions about what materials and methods she used to make them. She'll demo all her favorite tools and products and tell you why she loves them, and you'll get to try them out to see if you might want to buy them in the future. Students will also get to shop from Pam's latest original artwork and creations that are debuted at her booth at Renegade Craft Fair, in Los Angeles.
DAY ONE: We'll make a gorgeous paper to wrap our journal cover with, and we'll learn a traditional long stitch binding method to bind delicious watercolor paper signatures inside our books, leaving that day with a striking, unique, completed journal to use to play and explore in on day two, and the knowledge of how to make more in the future.
DAY TWO: It's all about the page play. Pam will demo and share her favorite supplies and techniques, both longstanding favorites and new products and processes discovered this year. We'll cover paints, pens, lettering, collage, prompts, methods, and try a few exercises that will surely leave you with new ideas and a renewed desire to continue to create, especially in an art journal! We'll have a flexible schedule to allow for student interest and questions to lead the way as to be sure to get your most burning questions about her journaling answered. You are sure to leave inspired to continue creating and art journaling.
SCHEDULE for BOTH DAYS:
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Pam who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Pam who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
TEACHER WILL PROVIDE: Pam will create and provide a class kit with the following items for each student. (There is no separate kit fee as the price for the kit is already built into the class price.)
- 2 Artist Canvas Boards
- Fabriano Uno Hot Press 140lb. watercolor paper, 3 signatures
- Linen book binding
- Waxed linen thread
- Upholstery needles
- 2 chipboard davey board pieces
- Brown paper sheets for unique handmade paper making
- Acrylic paints to use for our paper covers
- Ink to use for our paper covers
TEACHER & STUDIO WILL PROVIDE TO THE CLASS GROUP TO SHARE:
- Access to use and try out Pam's favorite supplies including paints, pens, and brushes.
- Acrylic paints in assorted colors
- Sewing machines
- Decorative-edged scissors
- Quilting iron/wax crayons
- Rubber stamps
- One-of-a-kind paper ephemera from Pam's collection
- Various creative tools to see in use and try yourself
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING: Actually, students don't need to bring much! Between the provided materials, your personal general crafting tools you bring, and the shared items, you should have all you need. Please bring in your personal crafting kit:
- Favorite pens, pencils, markers, stamps/ink pads, and other journaling supplies if you journal, scrapbook or make art already. Your go-to supplies.
- Apron if you get messy like we do!
- Small paint palette (wax paper, a paper plate, plastic lid from a carton ... anything will do)
- A few collage materials, (paper scraps, clip art, ephemera, photos) that will add your personal taste to your journal pages
- General paper crafting tools: scissors, adhesives (paper glue - gel medium, mod podge, glue sticks), a small selection of paintbrushes - different sized brushes, the largest needed being a 1 or 2-inch for page backgrounds, the smallest for writing with a paintbrush and a couple in between these sizes
- Any papers or supplies you would like to contribute to the class share pile.
- Pam will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Pam Garrison is an artist and teacher. Learn more about her work at pamgarrison.typepad.com.