Paint Paper Print: A Mixed Media Collage Exploration
with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
2-Day Workshop, January 18-19, 2014 in
207 N. Broadway St., Studio L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
Spend two very special days exploring the art of mixed media collage.
We’ll begin by making our own colorful papers with unique patterns. Then I’ll share my tips and techniques on layering, mixing colors, creating a focal point, working in a series, creating a pleasing design, working an abstract composition, lifting paint, stenciling, and knowing when to stop.
You’ll leave class with a collection of wonderful mixed media collages and the know-how and confidence to go home and create many more!
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Julie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Julie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- Liquitex Matte Medium
- Bristle Paintbrushes in a variety of sizes (recommended: large flat, medium flat, medium round, small round)
- Acrylic Paint – including black and white
- Several Sheets of 8x8 Watercolor Paper (the brand Fluid sells an 8x8 pad)
- Paper of all kinds, esp. thinner papers (patterned paper, newspaper, book pages, music, magazine pages, graph paper, plain copy paper, wrapping paper, cheap drawing paper, etc.)
- Rubber Brayer (I like a 2” brayer, but any size will do)
- Palette Paper
- Favorite Stamps (chunkier stamps recommended) and texture tools
- Baby Wipes
- Container for Water
- Optional: Heat Gun & extension cord, favorite mark making tools, crayons (water soluble or regular), regular gel medium & palette knife, apron
TEACHER WILL PROVIDE:
- Deli paper
- Cosmetic sponges
- Julie will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is an artist, author, and teacher. Learn more about her work at balzerdesigns.typepad.com.