The Amazing Tape Bound Junque Journal
with Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
2-Day Workshop, January 19-20, 2013
in Studio CRESCENDOh
207 N. Broadway, Studio L
Santa Ana, CA 92701
"You will leave this intensive two-day workshop with a beautiful tape-bound journal filled with colorful hand-painted papers. We will make our own stamps and stencils, explore several methods of monoprinting, create plenty of hand-painted patterns, play with color, make our own decorative tape, design our journal covers, paint in layers, and stitch together a fabulous one-of-a-kind art journal!." — Julie Fei-Fan Balzer
SCHEDULE for Both Saturday and Sunday:
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab a cup of coffee.
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Julie who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Julie who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
STUDENTS SHOULD BRING:
- Adhesive-backed craft foam
- Several sheets of thick cardboard or thick craft foam
- Gelli plate + brayer
- Heavy-bodied acrylic paint (6-10 colors, including black and white)
- Lots and lots of paper (notebook paper, tracing paper, deli paper, watercolor paper, scrapbook paper, book pages, white cardstock, newspaper, phone book pages, etc.)
- Scissors + ruler
- Craft knife & cutting mat
- Any or all of the following household objects: toilet paper tube, plastic fork, Lego, toy truck, unsharpened pencil with eraser, empty pill bottle, cork, credit card
- Bristle paintbrushes (1 very small round, 1 small round, 1 medium round 1 large flat)
- Paper plate or paint palette
- Baby wipes
- Permanent black marker + ballpoint pen
- 5-6 manila folders
- 1 page protector
- 1 full roll of masking tape (The wider, the better. I recommend Pro brand.)
- Teflon craft sheet (very important to have this non-stick surface
- 3 yards of waxed linen thread and tapestry needle
- Awl or paper piercer or thumb tack
- Small binder clips (4-6)
- 2 Canvas boards (either 8 x 10 or 9 x 12)
- Heavy gel medium + matte medium (I like Liquitex)
- Sturdy ribbon (1 yard-will be visible on your covers)
OPTIONAL FOR STUDENTS TO BRING:
- Heat gun, extension cord, power strip
- Paper trimmer
- Gesso (white and black)
- Water-soluble crayons
- Water-soluble pencil (I like Stabilo) and pencil sharpener
- Book binding tape
- Cosmetic wedge sponges
- Small spray bottle of water
- Bone folder
- Large acrylic stamping block
- Favorite stamps and stencils
- Julie will have a limited number of her licensed stamps and stencils for sale.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Julie Fei-Fan Balzer is an artist, and teacher. Her work is featured in the book, Journal It. Learn more about her work at balzerdesigns.typepad.com.