Doll Making has always been a passion of mine. I enjoy starting with an idea, working with my hands and making choices that will define who I am creating in the process.
The finished piece can be a girl, an animal, happy, sad, and wearing anything I want. The power of creating something out of nothing brings joy to my heart like nothing else. It's a very different feeling from just painting, because my idea gets to be more than just an image and becomes a tangible, touchable thing. I love it, and I want ot share with you that feeling.
Join me in a 2-day workshop as I guide you through the process I use for creating a soft doll, from concept to the finished piece. We will learn together how I transform an idea using a basic pattern to make the initial shape. I'll show you how I use an alchemy of mixed media techniques to sew, paint, dress up and embellish your creation, and by the end of the workshop you will get to take home a beautiful one-of-a-kind doll.
- Arrive & Settle: 9:00 :: Time for students to arrive, and settle in.
- Class Segment A: 9:30-12:00 :: Class time with Danita who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den.
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:30 PM :: Class time with Danita who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:30-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST (Each Student should bring these items to class):
Thread in beige and black and other colors that coordinate with your fabrics
Your choice of fabric for the dress (approximately 1/4 yard
White acrylic gesso
Acrylic paints in raw sienna, red, black, and colors that match your fabric
Dray Fritz Check
Fine sanding block or sand paper
Embellishments (fibers, buttons, beads, charms, etc)
Optional: StazOn inkpads in black and rubber stamps
STUDIO WILL PROVIDE these items for students to share:
Red and deep brown soft pastels
Odorless paint thinner
Oil paint in burnt umber
Acrylic fixative spray
KIT (Danita will have a kit for each student with the following items):
2 small buttons for arms and 2 smaller ones for shoes plus more for embellishments
Embroidery floss in black
2 beads (size 8mm for legs and 6mm for arms)
Stbilo paint it all pencil
Mohair or yarn for hair
Lace (3-4 yards
Tulle (about 6 inches tall and as wide as the fabric is)
Pencil with eraser on top
Vintage pages from a book
- Danita will have a limited number of original art items on hand for those interested in purchasing her art.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable. Please read about this policy in our Studio Policies.
Please read class policies for Studio CRESCENDOh here. By purchasing this class, you are agreeing to abide by the class policies.
ABOUT THE ARTIST:
Danita is an artist, and teacher.
To learn more, visit http://danitaart.blogspot.com/