Join artist Flora Bowley on October 29th & 30th, for a special two-day painting workshop hosted by Jenny Doh in Downtown Santa Ana, near the historic Artist's Village area. Flora will teach her unique methods of unearthing the artist that exists within us all, as we learn to trust the artistic process that will allow us to ...
Let go. Be Bold. Unfold.
SCHEDULE (for both days):
- Arrive & Settle: 8:30 :: Time for students to arrive, settle in, and grab some coffee and pastries (provided).
- Class Segment A: 9:00-12:00 :: Class time with Flora who will demonstrate and guide the 1st part of class.
- Lunch & Stroll: 12:00 PM :: You can choose to brown bag it or take a stroll to one of the many hip and artsy eateries in the historic Artist's Village in Santa Ana, like The Gypsy Den, or Lola Gaspar
- Class Segment B: 1:30-4:00 PM :: Class time with Flora who will guide the 2nd part of class.
- Show & Tell, Clean-Up & Depart: 4:00-5:00 PM
SUPPLY LIST: The class will provide you with two large stretched canvases. Listed below are the paints that each student is asked to bring. Please choose brands based on your budget and make sure to bring a minimum of 4 ounces of each listed and make sure that at least two are fluid acrylics. The rest can be heavy bodied.
- 2 different reds
- 2 different yellows
- 2 different blues
- 1 each of: green, purple, orange, pink, dark brown, ocher, metallic (copper or gold), and black
- 3 other colors you really love
- Titanium white: 8 ounce minimum
- Glazing medium: 8 ounce minimum
- Brushes: A variety of small brushes for detailed work (cheap ones are fine-just make sure you have at least one very pointed brush)
- 10 Foam Brushes: Wooden-handled with gray foam square from the paint section at a hardware store. Five 1-inch & five 2-inch brushes (the stiffer, the better).
- Mark-Making Tools: Variety of old pencils, non-working pens, caps from bottles, etc. No need to buy new things. Just look around and be creative!
- Spray bottle for water
- A few rags
- Palette: The larger the better. A full-sized cookie sheet works great.
Our sponsor Golden Artist Colors recommends the following colors and medium:
- Pyrrole Red, Quinacridone Red
- Hansa Yellow Medium, Dariylide Yellow
- Phthalo Blue (red shade), Ultramarine Blue
- Acrylic Glazing Medium (gloss or satin)
Our sponsor Quarry Books is the proud publisher of Flora Bowley's book, Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!, coming in May 1, 2012.
- Flora will have a limited number of original art and licensed products on hand for those interested in purchasing her pieces.
- The class location is in Santa Ana, California. The address will be provided upon purchase of class.
- If after class you'd like the canvases to be shipped to your home, Jenny will accept credit card numbers to use to pack and ship canvases to your home.
- Two good options for lodging are: Embassy Suites and Doubletree by Hilton. Both are near the Orange County airport and a few miles from the workshop location.
- Due to limited class size, the spot for this class is transferable but payment is non-refundable.